2.06.2007

Dating Etiquette

So with my entire New Year's resolution to be more experienced when it comes to dating, I have learned a few things. However one thing I didn't think was that my post-date responses were incorrect.

What I thought was that at the end of the date, the guy will say the obligatory "Can I call you again?" and the girl will say, "That'd be nice" whether either of them meant it or not. If the guy didn't want to see you again, he wouldn't call and if the girl didn't want to go out again, she wouldn't answer. Isn't this how it's supposed to go?


Well, imagine my surprise when I opened my inbox this morning and got this:

I was hoping when you said I could call you again that you were actually going to answer your phone or call me back. No worries though. I had a good time at the movies with you, and I can't be anything but thankful you tolerated my company for a couple of hours. Good luck in the future.
I'm still not entirely sure how to react this this. At first I thought he was being snarky, but now I think he's being nice, although there is really no reason for him to email me. The kid did call me a couple of times and he obviously got the message that I wasn't interested, so why email?

My question is this, should I have emailed him back after ignoring his call and say thanks, but no thanks? We only went on one date and I paid for myself. Thoughts? Comments?

1 comment:

Samir said...

Honestly, if the kid had any remote resemblance of game, he wouldn't have sent that email. Does he want sympathy? Maybe he just wants the self validation that he got in the last word. Who knows. I would break off all communication. It's just simpler that way. If I went out on a date, thought it went well, then got the answering machine multiple times, I'd definitely get the hint. I wouldn't send this sort of email though. Perhaps I'd call in a week or so again, just to make sure things didn't get lost in the shuffle but that's about it. What does this guy hope to accomplish anyways -- "She's totally ignoring me but maybe if I send this email, she'll realize how much she sucks and how clever I am and she'll totally call me back"?